There is no denying that hazelnuts and chocolate are a match made in heaven; this gluten free brownie recipe combines these two great flavours with a delicious end result.
This recipe is designed to be a healthier alternative to ‘normal’ brownies that have a ton of sugar and refined flour in them. Instead I’ve utilised more nutritious ingredients that you’re actually going to get benefits from. Yes thats right, brownies that are somewhat good for you! You can thank me later.
By using the hazelnut meal in place of the flour, these brownies naturally become gluten free, making them suitable for anyone with coeliac disease or a gluten intolerance. It also makes them higher in protein, which will keep you satisfied for longer.
If you’re after something a bit sweeter add in a little extra coconut sugar or another sweetener of your choice; other good ones include maple syrup, raw honey or rice malt syrup. You also have the option of adding in chocolate chunks by breaking up some dark chocolate and adding it into the mix. This would be delicious and gooey when it comes out of the oven, try not to eat it all at once!
Choc Hazelnut Gluten Free Brownies
Makes approximately 12
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups hazelnut meal
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 4 eggs (or vegan alternative)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, fan forced.
- Combine the hazelnut meal, coconut sugar, raw cacao powder, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Add in the eggs, coconut oil and vanilla extract and mix together thoroughly.
- Line a tray with baking paper and pour the mixture in.
- Place in the oven and allow to cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
These brownies taste amazing warm and fresh out of the oven, so dig right in.
Giving this recipe a go? Remember to tag me on instagram @projectnourish with #projectnourish if you do.
Know someone else who will love this recipe? Share it with them, they’ll thank you for it.