Breakfast tacos, yes I went there. I’m a huge lover of Mexican food, its hard not to be! So when I was thinking about putting a twist on the traditional vegetarian ‘big breakfast’ this is what came to mind. It has all the same ingredients, eggs, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes and avocado. So why not cook it up with some Mexican spices and turn the eggs into tortillas? Its a genius idea… if I do say so myself! And after putting the idea to the test, the taste was even better than I was hoping. I couldn’t keep this one to myself, so here it is for everyone to enjoy!
Black Bean Breakfast Tacos with Turmeric Egg Tortillas
Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Dairy Free & Sugar Free
Serves 2 – Makes 4 tacos
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1 clove of garlic (diced)
- 1 cup of black beans (cooked) OR 1 can of black beans (rinsed)
- 2 white mushrooms (diced)
- 8 cherry tomatoes (diced)
- 1 avocado (diced)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin (more to desired taste)
- 1 lemon
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 eggs
- Pinch of ground pepper
- Pinch of turmeric
- Dash of rice milk (or any plant milk)
- In a frying pan over medium heat, sauté the onion and garlic in some olive oil until they begin to turn golden.
- Add in the cumin, salt and pepper and allow it to flavour and continue to golden (be careful not to let them burn).
- Once golden, add in the black beans and mushrooms and stir well. If needed add in some more olive oil.
- Allow to cook for 10 minutes, then remove from the stove.
- Grease a small frying pan, about the size of a tortilla, with some olive oil.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and add in the milk, pepper and turmeric, stirring it all together well.
- Heat the pan on low-medium heat and add in one quarter of the egg mixture.
- Allow the egg to cook through, then flip it onto the other side.
- Once both sides are cooked you have your first tortilla, move it aside to continue with the others.
- Repeat step 3 for the other three quarters of the egg mixture, adding one quarter at a time until there are four tortillas.
Putting it together
- In each egg tortilla, place 1/4 of the black bean and mushroom mixture.
- Add 1/4 of the diced tomatoes and 1/4 of the diced avocado to each.
- Drizzle each taco with 1/4 of a lemon’s juice
And there you have it, breakfast tacos ready to enjoy! But they don’t have to be eaten just for breakfast… you can have them any time of the day.
If you make them be sure to snap a picture and tag me on instagram: @projectnourish or #projectnourish, I’d love to see!